Introduction, Communication Skills, and Module Goals

Subject: Introduction, Communication Skills, and Module Goals

 

Dear Professor Blackstone,

 

I hope this email finds you well. My name is Alson Ho Jian Wei, and I want to take this opportunity to introduce myself. I will share some insights into my educational background, communication strengths and weaknesses, as well as my goals for developing effective communication skills in your module.

I graduated from Nanyang Polytechnic with a diploma in Architecture in the year 2021. My passion for civil engineering ignited during my polytechnic internship at Orion Integrated Services, witnessing a project materialize with its intriguing structural design. To ensure a comprehensive grasp of structural principles, I decided to pursue a civil engineering degree.

Civil Engineering is a notably demanding discipline that necessitates the application of various soft skills, especially effective communication. In past internships, I encountered instances of heightened tension, particularly as deadlines approached. Utilizing humour proved effective in easing tension and creating a positive atmosphere at work. I have recognized that employing a light-hearted approach is a significant strength in my communication skills.

Nevertheless, I have received feedback indicating that my language proficiency, especially in formal settings, is not as adept. In formal interviews, I tend to employ a more casual speaking style, putting me at a notable disadvantage compared to other candidates. This tendency may result in interviewers perceiving me as less serious about the interview process.

My life philosophy advocates embracing humour and joy, yet I acknowledge the occasional importance of seriousness in life. Successful communication entails skillfully navigating between the contrasting domains of seriousness and humour.

This is why I aspire to strengthen my adaptability, particularly in terms of effectively communicating in every different context. Additionally, refining my proficiency in formal communication is also one of my objectives for this module, aiming to enhance my performance in interviews. Recognizing the significance of effective communication in various contexts, I am committed to continually improving my skills in this domain.

 

Thank you for reading this mail.

Best regards,

Alson Ho Jian Wei

Comments

  1. Hi Alson, your letter is well-written and interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alson, I like your life philosophy about embracing humour and joy, I believe that being humorous and joyful is important as it will bring smile to many !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Alson, your introduction email is well-crafted, showcasing your passion for civil engineering and your insightful reflections on communication strengths and weaknesses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alson, you mentioned that your language profficiency is not good, but the language used in your letter was very fitting to the tone of the assignment! Through practice and reading, i'm sure that your proficiency will improve.

    Your letter is very well organized and it has a very logical flow when reading it. However, I would have liked ot read more about your experience in your internship company. All in all a great read, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Alson,

    Thanks for sharing this upbeat and informative letter. You address the key components of the brief and provide interesting details. For instance, I really appreciate how you describe your "light-hearted approach" to life and the use of humour in communicating, and how you have to adjust that approach according the varying social circumstances. I'm also impressed by such optimistic values expressed even by the tone in language use in this letter.

    There are no language issues in this fluent post, just a few issues with the use of caps:
    -- a diploma in Architecture
    -- Civil Engineering is a notably demanding discipline....

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of communication skills for engineers - Quotation